Skip to main content

Damn I am hardheaded!!

Ok.

This past week has been an eye opener. I had a doctor's appointment on Tuesday (pap smear) which didn't go so well. My blood pressure was high, I mean scary high. I was a little apprehensive about my visit (I am a big scaredy cat) and that might have played a small role in the high reading. But I also haven't been taken my medication or watching my salt intake as a should be (yes I know that probably contributed a lot......like the title says....I am hardheaded).

Anyways I immediately set up an appointment with my doctor for that Friday. At that appointment my blood pressure was still high but not as high as it was at the visit to my gyno. So why did my doctor proceed to go off on me?!! I mean not in a mean kind of way but in a fed-up mothering kind of way.
I came to grips that I was seriously setting myself up for severe medical problems when I get older (and some even now) and that I needed to wizen up and make some changes fast.

Sooo...........

I spent this weekend cleaning out the unhealthiness out of my fridge. I did some research online first and then decided to clear out any and all food products that had high sodium content (triple digits with a small serving size). Here is some of what I removed:

-spices (anything with salt included in it's name...seasoning salt, garlic salt)
-teriyaki sauce
-soy sauce
-high sodium canned foods
-frozen dinners
-barbecue sauce (A new bottle of Sweet Baby Ray's......I teared up yall)
-ketchup
-high sodium salad dressing
-mayo
-high sodium marinades

Basically anything high in sodium was removed. I was amazed at how much sodium some items had. All this time I was eating salads and thinking I was being healthy. Little did I know the amount of sodium in just 2 tbsp of LITE Italian dressing (330 mg/tbsp). LITE I say!!!!

*sigh*

Anyways I went shopping yesterday and bought some low sodium substitutes for the things I removed. I bought some fresh herbs and more of spices like parsley, basil, oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder. I also did some web surfing for helpful sites and found that I can make some of the things on my own instead of buying it, like barbecue sauce or balsamic dressing.

The new changes will definitely affect my total grocery expenditures for this month (I went over) and I may need to increase my budget a bit. It shouldn't be too much and shoot, with the rise in grocery prices I have been seeing, I think an increase in my budget was about due. But I am thinking it will be no more than $20.

Anyways, below you will find a list of websites I found during my search. I don't know if any of you guys are dealing with the same health issue but if you are I hope they help. Aside from cutting out the sodium in my diet and taking my pills, what other advice would you guys recommend? And yes I know I need to exercise. Aside from that too. Thanks in advance.




RESOURCES




Note: My bad if the mention of a pap smear was TMI for some of yall. But ain't nothing like putting the personal in personal finance huh?

Comments

Denise Mall said…
Hi Dimples - just thought I'd suggest some cardio. Cardio is a great way to get everything moving and keep blood pressure in check. If you can't squeeze in a 1/2 hour a day - try 10 minute runs/jogs.

Also, drink lots of water to flush your system.

And one last trick - I don't know how to yoga, but hear it is awesome. Instead, I just take a quiet moment - sometimes not easy to do - close my eyes and breath deep holding it as long as I can to feel the pressure in my chest and then releasing slowly. Helps so much when stressed.

Good luck to you!
Dimples said…
@ dedicated

Awesome advance. I started meditating about a month ago. I haven't been doing it lately and will get back on track. It did help immensely. And I definitely need to get cardio in. I want a treadmill but not in the budget at the moment.

Thanks again.
Anonymous said…
I am proud of you - I know that sauce was hard to toss but Lil' Dimps needs you so you're doing the right thing!
Leslie said…
About cardio...

My blood pressure is low, but my heart isn't strong, so I have to do more cardio. I find a hard time motivating myself to go to the gym, so we went out and got an exercise bike at wal-mart and its been great! It was under $100 and has all sorts of cool features. That might be more in-line with your budget? We also got an adjustable weight set that was pretty cheap.

I find taking 15-30 min a day in the morning energizes me all day and really helps with the cardio.

Also - Wow, I didn't realize all that stuff has high sodium. Stuff like mayo? It might be time to go through our fridge too...
Anonymous said…
I've recently decided to start eating better as well. For the most part I'm trying to stick unprocessed foods (as much as I can), eat mostly fruits, veggies, whole grains, and cut back on meat. I too was shocked @ all the sodium that my fav spices and such contain. I didn't throw anything out though LOL. It's like you want to eat healthy but you need some flavor to spice it up. When you spice it up then you're eating too much sodium -- it's like you just can't win!
Anonymous said…
Ha ha ha. The personal in personal finance. I loved that. Well I feel what you are saying. We found out yesterday that my husband has high cholesterol and triglycerides. It has left us pretty puzzled because a. he bikes to and from work every day and plays racquetball once a week and b. he doesn't drink barely at all, c. I make all our food just about from scratch, and am cooking from a "healthy living" type cookbook! Now we are trying to figure out how to adjust our diet to make sure this doesn't become a problem. Good luck with the blood pressure lowering.
sara l said…
Good luck as you move forward. Taking that first step (getting rid of the things that are bad for you) is never easy. I know it's heating up in your part of the world but maybe an early morning walk or after dinner walk around the neighborhood with your daughter might help.

Popular posts from this blog

Home Purchase Plan - How I faired

Back in January I developed my Home Purchase Plan (HPP for short). I listed exactly what I was looking for in my new home including my needs and wants. I printed up my HPP and carried it will me everywhere. I especially took it with me when I went house hunting with my agent. I had a momentary relapse (I'll explain more on that on another post) but got back on track and stuck to my guns. I ended up with a beautiful house that fits all my needs and wants. HOME PURCHASE PLAN The home I want: Price: $0 -> $190,000 $180,000 Ideal Monthly Mortgage (including taxes, PMI, HOA, & hazard) : $1200 (max $1300) $1310 Location: Surrounding Orlando Area Check Bedrooms: 3+ 4 Bathrooms: 2+ 2 Square footage: 1700 s.f. + 1810 sf Year Built: 2000+ 1998 HOA: $100/month max $150/yr NEEDS: * A-rated school district Check * Quick access to major highways Check * Good daycare Check * Nice

Yeah......

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Life has been extremely busy. Trying to get used to the extra responsibilities on top of my existing overflowing list. I will try my hardest to post my do's and don'ts of buying a house tonight. Hope all is well.