Skip to main content

Side Biz Update

I finished up the project for my church today. I delivered the database this afternoon and the client was very happy with the results. She asked for a couple extra things as we did a run-through of the database and I added them for her right there on the spot. She was able to see me in action and was quite impressed. I am real excited that I completed my first project. Even though it was pro-bono work, I learned a lot from the experience:

- I still have much more to learn about databases, especially when dealing with non-engineering related areas.

- I need to really manage my time better. Working full-time, raising a child, Treasurer of a rapidly a growing group focused on empowering and inspiring our community, managing two blogs, actively involved in my church, AND working a side business can turn ones life into chaos if not managed correctly. Because I did not adjust my schedule accordingly, this project took me a week and a half to finish when I know I could have had it done in less than 3 days.

- When I do get a handle on this business stuff, I am gonna blow this out the water. I am good. I mean I am really good at what I do. I was able to anticipate a number of features that the client would most likely want without being told. I am a quick learner and even though things were a lil rocky at the beginning, I picked up real fast and was flying through it at the end with no problems at all.

-Creating databases is just the beginning. I can't wait until I get Oracle and AutoCAD under my belt. I will be able to provide a wider range of services to my clients. A whole package deal! It is one thing to work with part of a system but the WHOLE system is just spectacular! (Oh God! I sounded so like an engineer
)


Things are definitely working out well. On Sunday, I was offered another job by my church. They want me to create a database to track the tithing of each member (for tax purposes). They offered to pay me for this database which I accepted. They should be sending the information tonight and based on what they are looking for and how much data I will be working with, I will respond back with my quote. It's my church so I won't be charging them any outrageous fee.

Comments

SavingDiva said…
It sounds like your side business is really picking up! Congrats!

Popular posts from this blog

Home Purchase Plan - How I faired

Back in January I developed my Home Purchase Plan (HPP for short). I listed exactly what I was looking for in my new home including my needs and wants. I printed up my HPP and carried it will me everywhere. I especially took it with me when I went house hunting with my agent. I had a momentary relapse (I'll explain more on that on another post) but got back on track and stuck to my guns. I ended up with a beautiful house that fits all my needs and wants. HOME PURCHASE PLAN The home I want: Price: $0 -> $190,000 $180,000 Ideal Monthly Mortgage (including taxes, PMI, HOA, & hazard) : $1200 (max $1300) $1310 Location: Surrounding Orlando Area Check Bedrooms: 3+ 4 Bathrooms: 2+ 2 Square footage: 1700 s.f. + 1810 sf Year Built: 2000+ 1998 HOA: $100/month max $150/yr NEEDS: * A-rated school district Check * Quick access to major highways Check * Good daycare Check * Nice

Yeah......

Hey guys. Sorry I haven't posted in a while. Life has been extremely busy. Trying to get used to the extra responsibilities on top of my existing overflowing list. I will try my hardest to post my do's and don'ts of buying a house tonight. Hope all is well.