Skip to main content

Crockpot Recipe of the week - Dimples' Style Chili

Ingredients:

2 packages frozen ground turkey (equals about one package unfrozen) = $2 ($1 a piece)

1 red pepper = $.75


2 cans kidney beans = $1.10
($.55 a can)

1 onion = $.15
(1 bag of onions@ $1.50 a bag. About 10 onions a bag)

3 roma tomatoes = $.54
($1.25 a pound. 7 good sized tomatoes make a pound. Can substitute a can of tomatoes for about the same price)

Spices = $.10
(yeah......guesstimate. Sorry, don't have time to calculate that mess)

1 package cornbread mix= $.25 optional



TOTAL COST: $4.89


Prep Time = 15 min


Cook Time = 8 - 9 hours on low or 5 - 6 hours on high (all depends on you)



Directions:


Turn on crockpot on low setting. Add kidney beans. Dice up tomatoes, onion, and red pepper. Add to crockpot. Season and brown turkey in skillet. Add turkey to crockpot. Add more spices. Cover. Keep yourself busy for 8 - 9 hours. (Some people go to work. Others run errands and handle their business. I mean you can look at the crockpot for as long as you want but that may be a lil weird)

When chili is ready make cornbread. That gives it time to cool down a bit.


Results:



It was good!!! My baby ate 2 bowls.

I have a lot of chili left (Remember, I am measuring by a two person household. Actually 1.5 person...LOL). I packaged up the remaining chili into 3 tupperware bowls. Taking one to work tomorrow for lunch and the other 2 are in the freezer. I took a pic:


Here are some things that help me keep my grocery bill under $120 every month (Normally it is under a $100 except for the months with cooking holidays):

Freezing your food is a great way to stretch it out. And what is even better is that if I am ready to have the chili again, I can reheat it with my crockpot. All I would do it sit the tupperware bowl in some hot water for about 5 minutes to loosen up the food at the bottom. Then I would dump the chili into the crockpot, add a lil bit of water, and let it ride. Comes out just as good as before, sometimes even better.

When you think you have no food in your fridge or pantry and are contemplating going grocery shopping, check out this site first. It is a recipe search engine that helps you find recipes based on the ingredients you already have in your fridge. All you have to do is type in what you have in the search box and hit search. It pops a list of online recipes for you.


I will try and post a crockpot recipe and tips on how to save on your grocery bill once a week. In the meanwhile, if you want to go and find your own crockpot recipe then check out this site.


*EDIT

My daughter is the one who made the cornbread. All by herself. She wanted me to let you guys know that. LOL

Comments

Chitown said…
I am going to try this recipe. I have a crock pot but have only used it once or twice. Thanks for sharing.
That sounds pretty easy, and yummy! I'm sure your daughter made fantastic cornbread!
Dimples said…
@ chitown

Girl it is good. I don't eat red meat so you are definitely open to alter the recipe to your liking. If you only knew the feeling of coming home from a hard day at work and crazy traffic to a home cooked meal. That is why I LOVE my crockpot. Keeps me from resorting to getting takeout when I am too worn out to cook.

@ highclasslowincome

It was very easy! You don't need to be Rachel Ray to make this or anything using a crockpot. Just dump the food in there and take off. The crockpot does the rest.
I must admit that cornbread was good. She loves to cook. Wants to be a chef when she grows up. And a lawyer. A doctor. A singer. And President....LMAO!
Anonymous said…
Awww how cuuuute at your baby cooking! I'm going to try this recipe on Sunday, but honey child, I need MEAT! LOL
Anonymous said…
That looks so good. I am going to this weekend. Thanx for the tip.

Tamika

Popular posts from this blog

Home Purchase Plan - How I faired

Back in January I developed my Home Purchase Plan (HPP for short). I listed exactly what I was looking for in my new home including my needs and wants. I printed up my HPP and carried it will me everywhere. I especially took it with me when I went house hunting with my agent. I had a momentary relapse (I'll explain more on that on another post) but got back on track and stuck to my guns. I ended up with a beautiful house that fits all my needs and wants. HOME PURCHASE PLAN The home I want: Price: $0 -> $190,000 $180,000 Ideal Monthly Mortgage (including taxes, PMI, HOA, & hazard) : $1200 (max $1300) $1310 Location: Surrounding Orlando Area Check Bedrooms: 3+ 4 Bathrooms: 2+ 2 Square footage: 1700 s.f. + 1810 sf Year Built: 2000+ 1998 HOA: $100/month max $150/yr NEEDS: * A-rated school district Check * Quick access to major highways Check * Good daycare Check * Nice

Being frugal pays off big time

I have been racking my brain over ways to furnish my house but NOT bankrupt myself in the process. I created a shopping list/budget for things I will need to purchase for my first house. Even after using sale prices for pieces at modest furniture and home decor stores, my total was inching a little over $7500. This includes all appliances, living room furniture, formal area, two bedrooms, dining, office, rugs, decor, and lighting. My facial expression ----> (Translation: "Good lawd dats a lot of money!!") So I started searching through sales papers, visited some furniture stores, and found different areas to cut back on. After recalculating the shopping list, my new budget is around $6500. My current facial expression ----> (Translation: "Uhhhhh....") Now I had only been looking at brand new furniture. I came across a website, Apartment Therapy , that I found very resourceful and pretty neat. I was inspired and started searching Craigs List