Skip to main content

Christmas List Update

I am about finished with my Christmas list. I have gotten everyone's gift except my daughter's main gift.

Person

Gift

Budget

Actual

Mom

Spending $$$ for her trip

$100

$100

Dad

??

$50

$131

My Sweet Pea

Her 1st pet - Goldfish

$50

$15

Sister L

George Foreman Grill

$45

$37

Sister E

Luggage Set & DVDs

$40

$35

Brother

Zune

$50

$0

Godson J

Toys & Clothes

$25

$30

Godson A

Smackdown vs Raw 2008 game

$40

$50

Best Friend K

X

$30

$20

Best Friend's son

Shoes

$20

$14

Best Friend D

Shredder

$50

$15

TOTAL

$500

$447



Mom: $100 spending cash for her trip

Dad: Leather coat and 2 sweaters

Sweet Pea: Dora the Explorer Digital Camera (Thanks Single Ma!)

Sister L : George Foremen Next Grilleration Grill

Sister E : Luggage Set and 5 movies

Brother : Zune (no $ out of my pocket)

Godson J : Shrek Build-A-Bear Babies (Thanks SM again :-D) and Clothes

Godson A : Smackdown vs Raw 2008

BFF K : Bath and Body Works set (Pomegranate), Pomegranate scented candles, and Terry
cloth sandals from Chadwicks

BFF D : Shredder (Turned out to need a shredder)


I know some of you guys are wondering how I managed to get my brother a 30G Zune without spending any money. And NO I did not steal it. LOL. Well remember that bed and breakfast trip I received as a Christmas gift at my employer's holiday party? Well I decided to trade the trip with coworker for the camera and memory card gift he won. I then went back to the store that my employer had purchased the gift from and returned it. I was given back $270 on a Staples gift card. The reason I did this was because of a couple of things:

  1. 1. Staples currently had a 30G Zune on sale for $189.99.
  2. 2. I had a $25 off $50 Staples coupon.
  3. 3. I had 4 days left until I leave for the peeps and still hadn't purchased anything for my brother.
  4. 4. One of my friends works for Hilton.
  5. 5. She gets rooms at any Hilton at a discounted rate...sometimes even $0.
  6. 6. After some research I concluded that, although quiet, St. Augustine was an old folk town.
  7. 7. Although Dimps needs some peace and quiet, I would like to be able to shake my thang or hit up a jazz or poetry club if the mood hit me.
  8. 8. Cuz I can! :-D
Anyways I bought the Zune for my brother for $175 and I still have $95 left on the gift card. I plan on keeping that in my free $$ box I created. Anytime I need office supplies I will go to Staples and use the gift card until it is used up.

As of today I have spent $447 of my $500 Christmas budget. The last thing left on my list is my daughter main gift - Aquarium and Goldfish. Pet Supermarket has a Little Mermaid tank kit for $30 but I heard that Walmart has the same one for $17. So I will check that out when I get back.

Dimps Out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Purchase Plan - How I faired

Back in January I developed my Home Purchase Plan (HPP for short). I listed exactly what I was looking for in my new home including my needs and wants. I printed up my HPP and carried it will me everywhere. I especially took it with me when I went house hunting with my agent. I had a momentary relapse (I'll explain more on that on another post) but got back on track and stuck to my guns. I ended up with a beautiful house that fits all my needs and wants. HOME PURCHASE PLAN The home I want: Price: $0 -> $190,000 $180,000 Ideal Monthly Mortgage (including taxes, PMI, HOA, & hazard) : $1200 (max $1300) $1310 Location: Surrounding Orlando Area Check Bedrooms: 3+ 4 Bathrooms: 2+ 2 Square footage: 1700 s.f. + 1810 sf Year Built: 2000+ 1998 HOA: $100/month max $150/yr NEEDS: * A-rated school district Check * Quick access to major highways Check * Good daycare Check * Nice

Being frugal pays off big time

I have been racking my brain over ways to furnish my house but NOT bankrupt myself in the process. I created a shopping list/budget for things I will need to purchase for my first house. Even after using sale prices for pieces at modest furniture and home decor stores, my total was inching a little over $7500. This includes all appliances, living room furniture, formal area, two bedrooms, dining, office, rugs, decor, and lighting. My facial expression ----> (Translation: "Good lawd dats a lot of money!!") So I started searching through sales papers, visited some furniture stores, and found different areas to cut back on. After recalculating the shopping list, my new budget is around $6500. My current facial expression ----> (Translation: "Uhhhhh....") Now I had only been looking at brand new furniture. I came across a website, Apartment Therapy , that I found very resourceful and pretty neat. I was inspired and started searching Craigs List